The promised photo docu-drama from beginning to end:
More cake batter than I have ever made at one time in my entire life. I made triple chocolate fudge cake with chocolate fudge filling and buttercream icing.

Getting ready to go in the oven--eeeeek!

They actually turned out, what do you know?!?

I made the base of the cake out of rice crispies (instead of styrofoam) and oh.my.goodness. It took 6 bags of marshmallows, 4 boxes of rice crispies, 1 1/2 lbs. of butter and 6 teaspoons of my precious Madagascar vanilla. I had no idea. Next time I'll probably just use the styrofoam, but at least the rice crispies were edible!

All wrapped and ready for the next phase.

I cut and filled the cakes with chocolate fudge filling.

Icing the cake with butter & vanilla buttercream. Well, it was supposed to be butter and vanilla buttercream, but I accidently added a nice little lemony zest and wasn't about to throw away all that icing. It actually tasted great and the next batch that went over the rice crispies really was the requested butter and vanilla buttercream. :)

Icing the rice crispies, and no, I did not really lick the spatula!

Then Anita (the main reason why the cake looks good) came over the night before the wedding and helped make my icing smooth and roll out the fondant.

Hooray, thank you Anita!!!! Now they are covered in fondant and just waiting to make the 1+ hour drive to the reception the next morning.

I never had such a nerve-racking ride. I was quite glad Heaven answered my pleas and the cakes were all intact when we got there.


We set the cakes and stuff out and were ready to go. We left for the wedding and then came back to decorate the cake for the reception afterwards.

When we came back I put in the dowels, stacked the cakes and added the brown satin ribbon along the bottom of each cake.

Then I added her sculpture along with a couple of thinner ribbons that matched the bridesmaid's dresses running across the top.

It's ready to go out onto the table and put on the rose petals in her wedding colors! Miss J said I look "freaky" in this picture, sorry. :)

Side view of the masterpiece.

Other side view (don't mind the iron and ironing board for the tablecloths).

So, with Heaven's (and Anita's) help, we had ourselves a nice little wedding cake. :) Whew!
13 comments:
AWESOME! AMAZING! FANTASTIC! I cant say enough good about it. Wow Kimber you must be so proud of your masterpiece. It looks like you pulled it off without a single snafoo! Good for you. It doesnt even look like it was a drama- you can now consider yourself a professional cake decorator!
Miss you lots!
Melissa
Great job, Kimber! It was truly a work of love. Julie was so pleased, and I was so proud of an amazing daughter who went the extra mile to help Julie's dreams come true. You are wonderful. Love, Mom
I am impressed!!! Good job, the cake looks amazing and I am sure that it tastes fabulous! You are such a professional, I bet that all the guests have your phone number for future cake requests!!! So proud of my friend!
Love!
isadora
It looks wonderful... All that stress and it wasn't too bad, huh! I can't wait to see the next creation!
You are amazing! I had no idea....what a talent! This can't be the only one. I am excited to see your future projects.
Susie
Wow- I'm impressed. I should e-mail you a picture of my son's second birthday cake- pathetic! Really- seeing your pictures makes me think about taking the cake decorating class just so I can make cute cakes for my kiddos.
So beautiful and classy- just like the cake creator. There are no pictures of your ulcer I noticed. You did such a great job. Thank you for loving another enough to do that. You are awesome. I love you and miss you. Lots. E
Hi Kimber!
Wow! You're cake is amazing! I wish I could have taken that class with you!
I'm glad you found my blog! How are you guys?!
Hope you're doing great!
Fernanda :)
What! That is absolutely B-eautiful! I am so impressed. and I love the statue on top. You are so wonderful.
Well hello there! I love the cakes and have always wanted to learn the art myself. However, I have a problem with tasting as I go and think I would gain 40lbs with each masterpiece. What am I talking about? Great to hear from you. I miss you too!!
Looks amazing. I'd love the recipes and some pointers too. Thanks f r your recent comment on my blog. I can not get into your blog so put me on your list again, I'd love to peek in. Hope all is well!
Hi Kimber! This is gorgeous! I am impressed!
I tried to look at your other blog, but couldn't since it was private.
KIMBER! i hope you dont mind that I am looking at this page but that cake looks fabulous! I had no idea you made cakes?! that is so beautiful!!! What talent!
Post a Comment